Thursday, November 18, 2004

Book them

I've been on a bit of a books/language bent in my last few posts so I thought I would continue it by pointing to a San Francisco bookstore that is allowing its books to be arranged according to colour. Someone has posted some photos, if you'd like to take a peek.

It reminds of my years working in a bookshop where there were so many books they were piled on the floor. As well as the shelves being double packed, books were piled at least 10 high on the floor down every aisle. In that place we used to organise books by size. Of course, there was a loose subject categorisation that happened but beyond that books were out on the shelves according to fit. Hardcovers at the back, paperbacks at the front. Most of my job consisted of moving books, trying to find space where there wasn't any. It was like the proverbial painting the Harbour Bridge. You'd start at one end of the store and by the time you got to the NEXT AISLE the first one required maintenance. The worst aisle was the one that held the religion books. I'd tidy it up, find space for books when god knows there should not have been any at all. I'd pop downstairs for a fag and in the monitors I'd see some fundamentalist nutcase head into the aisle. By the time I got back up it was utterly destroyed. God knows what they were looking for, I hope they bloody found it because I still harbour a grudge against religio-freaks who destroy books. Grrr.

Speaking of weirdo religious shit:
John Hostettler, the Congressman representing the 8th district of Indiana, has been convinced by local religious groups to introduce legislation in the House that would change the name of an Interstate 69 extension to a more moral sounding number.
If they didn't have such filthy minds it wouldn't be dirty would it?

1 comment:

Zoe said...

I've been to that bookshop - it was a bit scary.

And I think 69 sounds a perfectly moral number. I cannot understand how that could be someone's top priority at the moment.